Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I died that day

Labyrinth came out in summer 1986 when I was about 10 months old. I don't know how I came to see the film, but it was one of my favorites growing up. I remember it as early as about age 6. I had a huge crush on Jareth and remember being insanely jealous of Sarah. I must have had the movie on VHS because I remember watching it on repeat throughout my childhood.

For my birthday one year, I asked for David Bowie cassettes and my mom got me Tonight, Never Let Me Down, and the Labyrinth soundtrack. I figure she just picked up whatever cassettes that they had in stock at whichever store she went to, or else I have no idea why she would have picked those particular albums. I remember playing the Labyrinth soundtrack a lot, and not really enjoying the other two cassettes. I was probably around 8-9 years old at the time.

Time passed, I grew up, forgot about David Bowie, and went through a Backstreet Boys phase, a pop/hip-hop/rap phase, a J-Pop phase, a Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit phase. Labyrinth remained one of my favorite movies and was often quoted between my dad and me. We've always quoted movies a lot in day to day life. Dad's favorite part was the bog of eternal stench.

I got my first computer when I was 20 and discovered OiNK. My life until that point was all pop music and whatever played on the radio. The only CDs I owned were Backstreet Boys and then suddenly I had a seemingly endless catalog of music at my fingertips. I had no idea where to start, and I don't know what compelled me to, but I grabbed David Bowie's discography first. I listened to his music non-stop for about 6-8 months. Nothing but David Bowie.

At the time, I remember wondering to my friends on IRC whether something was wrong with me because the only music I ever wanted to listen to was Bowie for such a long period of time. When I'd try to listen to other music or the radio it all sounded wrong to me, strange, like it wasn't even music. I'd give up and start listening to Bowie at the Beeb instead. One of my online friends (at that point online, now IRL) even got me the Bowie at the Beeb CD(s) for my first "internet" Christmas in 2005, which made the album that much more special to me.

One song in particular off of that album, God Knows I’m Good, resonated with me. He sang it in such a beautifully painful way that at times I would cry just listening to the recording. I never again forgot about David Bowie.

I am so happy that the stars aligned to bring me to experience David Bowie’s body of work throughout my life. Often I have found myself wishing I’d been born in another time because of music. I wished to grow up during the time of Motown. I wished to grow up during the time of the Beatles. I wished to grow up during the time of swing.

Maybe I was a bit late, but I did grow up in the time of David Bowie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home